Westworld Finale: Did It Bring You Closer to the Centre of the Maze or Send You Spiralling into Madness?


(Earlier post.)

Not every detail on Westworld the show is meant to be revealed -- or revealed in one straightforward interpretation. (That's my disclaimer.) A lot of them are still up to be discussed, watched again, read from at least three different sources, discovered, speculated, or kept under wraps. I'm fine with that because most of the huge questions were answered and twists beautifully untangled by the time we reached the final episode.

Or if I'm being honest, I'm fine with that because I went on Reddit since probably episode 3. When the show was sloooowly unfolding its twists, it was also basically in a loop of confirming those Reddit theories. So I didn't suffer much, waiting for the puzzles to be solved. Thank God for technology.

That said, here's a list of thoughts, favourite moments and a few bones that I want to pick. That part in capitals is me yelling:

1 WHAT IS UP WITH THE TWO PARK CREATORS? DON'T THEY HAVE ANY OTHER WAY TO CORRECT THEIR "MISTAKES"? WHY TF DOES IT HAVE TO INVOLVE KILLING AND SUICIDE? WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR MANAGEMENT MEETINGS?

And with the same argument, Man in Black too. For 30 years what you want is for the hosts to fight back? I don't think so, dude. All you did was buy the company, then about a year ago you came back for a killing spree, and this time it included a child, as a form of test?

How is a killing spree a test, and how does everything that you've done help the hosts fight back? "Ooh, now I know how huge a psychopath I am, I can start having a new set of goals in life. I wasn't sure beforeeee... I'm sure now."

2 "Mistakes" in quotes because there's no such thing as sentient hosts to me. They are robots. Look at your computer. It. Cannot. Be. Conscious.

Don't go "This is a way advanced technology -- they are more biological than mechanical" on me.

If it works on codes and needs electricity, it's an iPhone.

3 Ok, that was me not being able to get past the fact that the hosts are still robots.

The rest of this list would be me playing along. I'm in. The maze is a test of consciousness.

So this brings me to one of my favourite moments of the season: when the Man in Black was handed the maze by Dolores. Oh my God, the look on his face was priceless. Basically, he just got shot, kicked and dragged through the whole park for years for a toy.

Other favourite moments:

  • Maeve, accompanied by Felix, visiting "upstairs" for the first time. The music, an arrangement of Radiohead's Motion Picture Soundtrack by Vitamin String Quartet, was perfect. And what was shown, how the hosts were made, especially at a station where blood was pumped into a body, was beautiful. How do you process this huge sudden news, that your entire existence was just a game?
  • Maeve finding the other sketches that she had hidden under the floor. That scene gave me goosebumps.
  • Hector's floor show in episode 4 for the exhilarating orchestra (Carmen's Habanera) and the lines:
"If you're riding into our town under the company of armed men, you'll need to state your business."

"Mayhem."


Which could also be an exchange between my toddler nieces and nephew and me.
  • The look on Ford's face when Charlotte fired Bernard.

4 How are the security and the security team that useless? Theresa wanted to be informed of everything, even if there was so much as an "unscripted sneeze", and you have an unmonitored main operations facility guarded by a security team that can't catch a drunk turtle.

This opens a different can of worms. I can't recall every worm by now but here's one: The show is very careful in placing details with just enough hints to tell its two timelines and hosts glitching stories. Then we have a scene of Dolores dying from her wound in Teddy's arms to introduce Ford's new narrative. It was scripted. So, how do you script the Man in Black stabbing Dolores?

5 I love, love the show, and I'm ok with how it ends, so I'm torn about having a season 2. The nightmare from True Detective season 2 is still raw. But it's not like I have to do anything hard, I'll just wait and watch when it airs.

Image: HBO via businessinsider.com

Comments