Survivor 33, Episode 1
"MAY THE BEST GENERATION WIN"
Yes, it's the national holiday! The Survivor premiere day! (I feel sorry for people who don't watch.)
Let's get right to it. Let's judge these 20 starving, unwashed strangers -- one of them is going to win a million dollars by the end of the season -- starting with those who stand out:
Hannah – I thought Hannah would be low on my favourite list. To be fair, I was choosing from a small pool since not many stood out during pre-season. But what do you know, I'm now spoiled for choices. It's the return of Caramoan "cool kids" plus Fabio. So, Taylor and friends, do entertain us before you pack to Ponderosa. (This new Fabio is not going to win.)
Adam – Not far behind, there is something annoying about Adam, but I can't point out to specifics. Is it his smug look while shouting in confessional? That doesn't feel like a huge offense, though. Now I just sound like a grumpy Gen Xer. I don't know, I'm just positive Adam is going to annoy the hell out of us this whole season while smiling and grinning about it.
Side note: It is important that you put yourself in a generational category because work ethic and personality depend on the year you were born, obviously. Which totally explains why I used to work 18 hours a day or go for 30 days with no day off when I was younger, but not anymore.
Side side note: I also despise people who don't type properly, thinking it's cute.
The three older Gen Xer men – I hope they won't turn out to be the typical mansplainers we saw in previous seasons. I'm tired of that storyline.
Let's talk about the people that we like for a bit: Mari and Zeke – Mari seems smart, level-headed and easy to get along with. I thought Zeke was solely going to be the goofy character, the comic relief who doesn't really care much about winning. But apparently he's a superfan (you should know that's like own blood in Survivor community), and he also has a pretty good first episode. He's snarky-funny, smart and pretty useful around a camp full of Fabios. I can root for both Mari and Zeke. But I can't remember if players that I've rooted for have ever won before. So, who knows, maybe Fabio is going to pull a Sandra.
David – Ok, who put this guy on? While I love his writer background, his fish out of water edit, his potential to give out good, raw confessionals, I cannot handle his nervousness. I'm clumsy, often-awkward-made-worse-by-coffee myself, so I can't watch David having a breakdown. It's going to be too much for me.
The first boot – But it's being bossy with no self-reflection that's not making you many friends at the Gen X camp right now. So, in a 5-3-1-1 vote Rachel-CeCe-David-Sunday, Rachel is voted out.
See you next week.
Image: CBS
Yes, it's the national holiday! The Survivor premiere day! (I feel sorry for people who don't watch.)
Let's get right to it. Let's judge these 20 starving, unwashed strangers -- one of them is going to win a million dollars by the end of the season -- starting with those who stand out:
Hannah – I thought Hannah would be low on my favourite list. To be fair, I was choosing from a small pool since not many stood out during pre-season. But what do you know, I'm now spoiled for choices. It's the return of Caramoan "cool kids" plus Fabio. So, Taylor and friends, do entertain us before you pack to Ponderosa. (This new Fabio is not going to win.)
Adam – Not far behind, there is something annoying about Adam, but I can't point out to specifics. Is it his smug look while shouting in confessional? That doesn't feel like a huge offense, though. Now I just sound like a grumpy Gen Xer. I don't know, I'm just positive Adam is going to annoy the hell out of us this whole season while smiling and grinning about it.
Side note: It is important that you put yourself in a generational category because work ethic and personality depend on the year you were born, obviously. Which totally explains why I used to work 18 hours a day or go for 30 days with no day off when I was younger, but not anymore.
Side side note: I also despise people who don't type properly, thinking it's cute.
The three older Gen Xer men – I hope they won't turn out to be the typical mansplainers we saw in previous seasons. I'm tired of that storyline.
Let's talk about the people that we like for a bit: Mari and Zeke – Mari seems smart, level-headed and easy to get along with. I thought Zeke was solely going to be the goofy character, the comic relief who doesn't really care much about winning. But apparently he's a superfan (you should know that's like own blood in Survivor community), and he also has a pretty good first episode. He's snarky-funny, smart and pretty useful around a camp full of Fabios. I can root for both Mari and Zeke. But I can't remember if players that I've rooted for have ever won before. So, who knows, maybe Fabio is going to pull a Sandra.
David – Ok, who put this guy on? While I love his writer background, his fish out of water edit, his potential to give out good, raw confessionals, I cannot handle his nervousness. I'm clumsy, often-awkward-made-worse-by-coffee myself, so I can't watch David having a breakdown. It's going to be too much for me.
The first boot – But it's being bossy with no self-reflection that's not making you many friends at the Gen X camp right now. So, in a 5-3-1-1 vote Rachel-CeCe-David-Sunday, Rachel is voted out.
See you next week.
Image: CBS

Comments