Survivor 32, Episode 14

"NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT"


The thing about these final three is, each of them could make a case for themselves.

We were shown that Aubry was the strongest player, turning her position in the minority and going against the threat of a "super" idol, but the jury wants Michele to win. Good thing at this point, Michele won't have to f-ing care if people think she doesn't deserve it. If only the show showed us more of this Michele's "social game", though, then we probably wouldn't end up with this little confusion.

And if only Tai was able to present his case better, the race could seem much closer. Because I don't think Tai was a bad player; he turned on people to fend for himself and is still much more likeable than many. Selling himself is just not his best skill.

Let's go back a few days.


Final Four

Aubry wins the first reward challenge, and she brings Cydney along for the lunch, again, leaving Tai and Michele to plot at camp.

When Michele wins the immunity challenge, she has Cydney on her side and tries to bring up Aubry's name to Tai. But ultimately, Tai's loyalty stays with Aubry, so the vote ends up 2-2 Aubry-Cydney. Aubry wins the fire-making challenge, sending Cydney to be the last member of the jury.

Apparently, Survivor 32 is not done yet, as caught by Tai: Jeff didn't say his usual "now the power shifts to the jury" at that tribal.

True enough, the three of them have to compete in one last challenge the next day, but it's not for immunity.

The challenge is for a reward, which is the power to vote one jury member out of the bench, and Michele wins it.


Final Tribal Council

Final tribal was not Sue-Hawk-level of explosive. Most of recent seasons' juries were not. It felt like it had evolved a little. I'd have to go and rewatch to point out to specifics, which I won't do, but I felt there were smart questions asked and good lines said at this FTC. No one threw a tantrum like a three-year-old, or wasted a question and asked for a stupid number, or asked "Why does the other player deserve the win more than you?" I think. Wait, didn't Joe ask that? I can't remember. I think not.

(One of my favourite speeches was Reed Kelly's on SJDS. And one of my favourite questions was Corinne's on Gabon for Susie, "If you can answer 'yes' to this question, I will give you my million-dollar vote. If you get the money, will you agree to have your vocal cords removed?" Work of art.)


The Vote-a-Juror-Out Twist

I like that there is a new twist, but this one feels "off" to me -- for now -- maybe because it's new. It feels a little Pearl-Islands-outcast-twist-ish to me. Maybe because everyone was blindsided by it. Unless they were warned of "a twist at FTC" or something earlier in the game, were they?

I'll come around.

Better -- in about two seconds, I will not care.

But Neal's angry speech on his way out surely makes the twist better. Because what's the point of making someone angry if you can't hear the anger yourself.


The Reunion

– Before this, I was ok with Sia. I'm ok with her songs, and I love the fact that she loves her privacy and has her own cool way staying anonymous. After today, I'm a little annoyed by her. Great, nice of you being generous with your money, but dude, you're hijacking the show and with so much time too! Good thing is, as a punishment, she has to stand awkwardly in the middle of the stage, holding hands with Tai, with a wig covering her face for five minutes (luckily, Tai gets paid for it). Tyler Perry should have received the same punishment.

– I love, love Cochran, and I think he's ok with not being featured yet again in another reunion. The reunion is already short, can't the focus go to the current players instead? Can't you think of a question to ask Liz or Peter or Cydney? Can't you tell one funny story that happened on the island?

– Jeff asked Michele of her strategy in the game. Midway through her answer, Jeff supplied her a new answer, the one he had in mind. Everything felt rushed, yet not everyone's existence on stage was acknowledged. Or do we need this season to just end quickly, already?

– Jason was the best dressed at the reunion.

Image: CBS

Comments