Survivor 31, Episode 9

"WITCHES COVEN"


We start the episode with Stephen talking about boil, toil and trouble. I have zero idea what those are. Apparently they are from Macbeth, Shakespeare -- double, double toil and trouble. Pardon me, I don't know those either. Tom Sawyer, Swiss Family Robinson and Breaking Bad -- I'm in. Shakespeare, Mona Lisa and poems -- probably not.

The next morning, Jeremy wants another idol, and he and his winner's edit find it! This is unacceptable, Stephen.

At the reward challenge, the players are divided into two teams: Purple and Green. Green, which consists of Jeremy, Keith, Kelley, Kelly and Kimmi, is pretty sad. The poles are not necessarily to be lined up by length, and they couldn't figure this out soon enough. So they lose. Also, because they didn't have Joe on their team.

Side notes:
– Abi was not picked to participate.
– During the challenge, Jeff yelled at reminded Stephen to pick it up because this is why he's out there. Got it, Ozzy.
– The question is, why is this season not named "Poles and Balls"?

Just like at the previous reward, Ciera tries to talk strategy, "So are we talking strategy at all? Or are we talking food only?"

No, Ciera, we are not talking any of those; Joe's in the shower, say the producers. I don't get long hair and man buns. But the camera makes sure the viewers know where they should focus their attention to.

So, besides Jeremy, Kelly's name is also brought up.

The following day, we listen to Stephen's fixation with Joe again. And apparently, Joe and Kelly are best friends. Kelly tells Joe that she knows she's a huge threat too, just like him. I've seen nine episodes of this, so I have to disagree. Stephen goes to the #WitchesCoven, and they are ready to write Kelly's name down.

Immunity challenge is a balancing challenge in the water. Before Joe wins (obviously), in the middle of the challenge, they are presented with a choice: stay in the challenge to fight for immunity, or jump and race for advantage. Stephen and Spencer jump, and Stephen wins the advantage, which is to steal someone else's vote. I get that he doesn't think he can win the challenge anyway, but jumping for the advantage will just bring more attention to him. Ugh, I don't know strategy. I watch the show for the funny lines. But Jeff cutting the rope is a good drama. (The fake lightning sound, however, should go.)

I don't feel good about Stephen being a little too happy about the advantage, though. Following Survivor on the internet so much makes me care about edit sometimes. All of Stephen's words sound like famous last words.

There's something interesting / odd / simply I don't get about Jeremy, Spencer and Stephen's conversation by the well during which Stephen brings up Kelly's name.

Stephen: We can't keep playing from the bottom like this.
Spencer: Honestly, are we on the bottom?

I can't tell what it is. The fact that Jeremy's not on the bottom, yet he has to be there in the conversation? The fact that Spencer doesn't think that he's on the bottom, while the edit doesn't really show that he's in power either? The fact that Stephen says that they're on the bottom, while the current edit implies that he does have several friends in the game? Who's playing who? Are we being played by the editors? Are these three playing the viewers?

(Good news is, the frowning, boardroom-serious Spencer is back this episode.)

At tribal, Savage wears a beanie, which reminds me of his Ponderosa video -- the 43 hours later -- where he was drinking and BFFing with Kass.

Two days earlier, he was showing a finger to Abi and couldn't even have dinner at the same table with Kass -- even though he was the one who voted Kass out, and Kass still happily offered him drinks when he arrived at Ponderosa.

In the latest Ponderosa video, he's now at wearing a cap backwards at the beach. He's so going to rap in the next video.

Also, the cooler, new-agey way to say "flippers" is "voting block bloc".

In short, Kelly is out.

Image: @officialsurvivor_cbs

Comments