Movies
Wild
I cried by the end of Wild. Me crying over movies and TV shows is no longer news. It would be several years ago, and several years was a long time ago. Good thing it only happens when I'm watching these movies and shows alone.
Wild, co-produced by and starring Reese Witherspoon, is based on Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her three-month journey hiking 1,800km of the Pacific Crest Trail. I'm just being old news here as usual. This movie has already received tons of nominations this year, and Reese Witherspoon has probably made 14 movies since.
I loove the idea of hiking. I hate running, but I don't mind walking. So as long as I can walk at my own pace, I'd love to go on, well, this long hike. I'll ask a friend -- we'll set up a camp, have lunch under the tree, and enjoy the views and sounds of nature.
I just can't... pee (+more) outside! And if this involves camping, I'd need showers. So that's my T&C. Or if we want to be thorough here, I want a trek, no matter how long, that provides a rest stop every twenty kilometres and a bathroom every five. I want to set a camp at night at the rest stop where I can buy a hot meal as well. Too much? I don't think so. There must be a demand for this, why not make people happy? And for those who do not want a proper bathroom and campsite, well, you can pass the rest stop and set a camp at the 21st kilometre. It's fair for everybody!
Who says that you can't enjoy nature by peeing in a proper bathroom? In fact, you are preserving the nature. The nature will thank you!
We need an outdoor company to start working on this idea. And if this can be done by next year, I promise to hike the PCT too. Like, totally. (Could we get some proper internet and phone signal too along the trek? Come on people, don't be so resistance towards technology. And I promise I'd use them only if I need to.)
Back to the movie.
Watching Wild is like connecting to somebody who understands that life is often not straightforward and perfect. By the time you reach your 30s / 40s (or 20s), for many of us, we've already had our share of baggage or mistakes or crushed dreams that we couldn't shake off our shoulders. (To those of you who have not, good for you.) We wake up every day with our own battles. And I blogged it before: the easiest problem to solve is always other people's.
My favourite description of Wild is from Sandy Schaefer on screenrant.com:
(*Happier, clearly.)
We Have a Pope
It feels strange to describe a sound-like-a-religious movie as fun, but We Have a Pope tells a story of personal struggle and questioning the life path that is expected of you, and it's still a fun movie. Religion can be a sensitive subject. Speaking for myself, as a person who is from a different background, I do feel that the movie is telling its story respectfully, humanizing those behind a religious institution.
I watch huge Pope-related events for the fashion. I don't know what they are, but I imagine there must be a story to every piece of garment and colour worn by the Vatican officials*. (*What's the word to cover all the titles? Clergy?) I imagine a specific event would require a specific outfit, all put on with perfection. This movie brings me to another round of peeking into the church's fashion.
The movie is about a cardinal, Melville, who is elected to be the next Pope but doesn't really want the job. He has a panic attack on the day of the announcement and ends up not completing the ceremony. A psychoanalyst, Dr Brezzi, is called to Sistine Chapel to help, but he eventually suggests Melville meet with another psychoanalyst who also happens to be Brezzi's ex-wife instead.
Since this must all be done in discreet, Melville leaves his robe in his chamber, wears a cardigan and a pair of pants like the average seniors, and goes to see the new psychoanalyst in her office outside of the chapel anonymously. After the session, he escapes his entourage and, with no money, has an adventure exploring the city alone.
Meanwhile, Brezzi, being cooped up with the rest of the cardinals, is having an adventure of his own -- befriending the cardinals, and holding games and competitions inside the chapel's compound. You have to see these people playing volleyball in robes at least once in your life even if it's only from a movie.
And the spoiler is, in the end, Melville comes out on the balcony and... declines the job.
If you haven't already, go watch this one too.
Image: Philippe Antonello via nytimes.com
I cried by the end of Wild. Me crying over movies and TV shows is no longer news. It would be several years ago, and several years was a long time ago. Good thing it only happens when I'm watching these movies and shows alone.
Wild, co-produced by and starring Reese Witherspoon, is based on Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her three-month journey hiking 1,800km of the Pacific Crest Trail. I'm just being old news here as usual. This movie has already received tons of nominations this year, and Reese Witherspoon has probably made 14 movies since.
I loove the idea of hiking. I hate running, but I don't mind walking. So as long as I can walk at my own pace, I'd love to go on, well, this long hike. I'll ask a friend -- we'll set up a camp, have lunch under the tree, and enjoy the views and sounds of nature.
I just can't... pee (+more) outside! And if this involves camping, I'd need showers. So that's my T&C. Or if we want to be thorough here, I want a trek, no matter how long, that provides a rest stop every twenty kilometres and a bathroom every five. I want to set a camp at night at the rest stop where I can buy a hot meal as well. Too much? I don't think so. There must be a demand for this, why not make people happy? And for those who do not want a proper bathroom and campsite, well, you can pass the rest stop and set a camp at the 21st kilometre. It's fair for everybody!
Who says that you can't enjoy nature by peeing in a proper bathroom? In fact, you are preserving the nature. The nature will thank you!
We need an outdoor company to start working on this idea. And if this can be done by next year, I promise to hike the PCT too. Like, totally. (Could we get some proper internet and phone signal too along the trek? Come on people, don't be so resistance towards technology. And I promise I'd use them only if I need to.)
Back to the movie.
Watching Wild is like connecting to somebody who understands that life is often not straightforward and perfect. By the time you reach your 30s / 40s (or 20s), for many of us, we've already had our share of baggage or mistakes or crushed dreams that we couldn't shake off our shoulders. (To those of you who have not, good for you.) We wake up every day with our own battles. And I blogged it before: the easiest problem to solve is always other people's.
My favourite description of Wild is from Sandy Schaefer on screenrant.com:
"Wild is more than a showcase for Reese Witherspoon’s performance, it’s a meditative journey that is refreshingly funny, insightful, and poignant."By the end of the movie, I feel like someone is hugging me and telling me that my life can be lighter, and that I can be happy*.
(*Happier, clearly.)
We Have a Pope
It feels strange to describe a sound-like-a-religious movie as fun, but We Have a Pope tells a story of personal struggle and questioning the life path that is expected of you, and it's still a fun movie. Religion can be a sensitive subject. Speaking for myself, as a person who is from a different background, I do feel that the movie is telling its story respectfully, humanizing those behind a religious institution.
I watch huge Pope-related events for the fashion. I don't know what they are, but I imagine there must be a story to every piece of garment and colour worn by the Vatican officials*. (*What's the word to cover all the titles? Clergy?) I imagine a specific event would require a specific outfit, all put on with perfection. This movie brings me to another round of peeking into the church's fashion.
The movie is about a cardinal, Melville, who is elected to be the next Pope but doesn't really want the job. He has a panic attack on the day of the announcement and ends up not completing the ceremony. A psychoanalyst, Dr Brezzi, is called to Sistine Chapel to help, but he eventually suggests Melville meet with another psychoanalyst who also happens to be Brezzi's ex-wife instead.
Since this must all be done in discreet, Melville leaves his robe in his chamber, wears a cardigan and a pair of pants like the average seniors, and goes to see the new psychoanalyst in her office outside of the chapel anonymously. After the session, he escapes his entourage and, with no money, has an adventure exploring the city alone.
Meanwhile, Brezzi, being cooped up with the rest of the cardinals, is having an adventure of his own -- befriending the cardinals, and holding games and competitions inside the chapel's compound. You have to see these people playing volleyball in robes at least once in your life even if it's only from a movie.
And the spoiler is, in the end, Melville comes out on the balcony and... declines the job.
If you haven't already, go watch this one too.
Image: Philippe Antonello via nytimes.com

Comments