Jealousy, Jenner, Nudity, +More
I promise I'll quit using bullet points and numbered lists (or use them sparingly) someday, but as Syrio Forel would say, "Not today."
1) "You are jealous" is a very cop-out way to argue. Most disagreements do not come from jealousy.
For example: I don't watch the Kardashians. Looking at the amount (or some would also say the quality) of TV that I watch, it's shocking that I don't or that I'm not a fan of theirs in general. I'd then state my reasons to the concerned individual, some of which may or may not be in line with the reasons why I don't have Facebook and why I don't understand selfies. This explanation sometimes would trigger "You are jealous" conclusion. No, I'm not. In fact, I think the Kardashians are beautiful and super smart marketers.
Put it this way: I don't watch wrestling shows, and I'm not a fan of Hulk Hogan. And no, I'm not jealous of him.
2) Speaking of the Kardashians, I honestly thought the story of Bruce Jenner transitioning all these past months was just the media making up stories.
3) Let's discuss another statement:
"I go nude or show a lot of skin because I'm proud of my body. People who don't are either oppressed or ashamed of their bodies."
I'm a Muslim, but I don't wear a headscarf. Especially these days, when there is a 'movement' in this part of the world to wear headscarves, I understand my choice of lifestyle might not be in agreement with yours, but I'd hate to hear your self-righteous comments about it.
And it goes the other way too. I hate when people police other people's clothes, even if they aren't things that I myself would wear. I don't wear a headscarf, but it annoys me when I hear people are banned from wearing it. I don't wear knee-length skirts anymore, but I think you look good and classy in yours.
Then there is this statement from the far end of the spectrum, the kind that boils my blood sometimes, like the "I go nude or show a lot of skin because..." above. No, person who says that, you don't have to be ashamed of something to not flaunt it. Some people prefer to keep certain things in their lives private: personal life, good deeds, sexual activity, what food they eat for the day, skin, body parts.
I don't care if nudity is what makes you happy. I'd probably even applaud your confidence and hard work to take care of your body (if you do) or maybe close my eyes on reflex if it shocks me. But no, most people who don't go nude or show a lot of skin aren't oppressed or ashamed of their bodies. People wear clothes because they are comfortable with their conventions, they love their faith, they love fashion and clothes, it's hygienic, they have no reason to go naked in public, they're mindful of the specific lives they're in, and they have other qualities to offer — to name a few reasons.
So, if you want to do it, good for you, but I personally don't need to hear questions like "Why not do nudity or show a lot of skin?" because seriously, why does it baffle you that people wear clothes?
4) Parents scare me sometimes, mainly because they can suddenly get a taadd... sensitive and shoot you with statements like this:
"Shut the F up. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't have kids."
I agree. People who are not parents can only imagine how being a parent is like. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want to hear your opinion about my three-year-old who won't stop screaming in public or my breastfeeding decision either, unless I ask you about it. It can be rude and intrusive to comment on someone's parenting decisions.
Luckily, in general, I have no interest in minding other people's business, but I'm usually extra careful with parents. I don't know, it almost feels like I'm told over and over again that this is the privilege, so tiptoe around them(?)
Then you'd meet the same parents telling you how you should run your life:
- If you are single, you should get married already.
- If you only have one kid, you should quickly have two or three (because they have three).
- If you have more than five kids — why?
- If you spend your money on hobbies but not on a house, your life choices are wrong.
- If you are thin, that's because it's easy for you, you've never been pregnant. Not because of the hours you put in working out or because you are careful with what you eat.
The list can go on.
People, each of us wakes up every day with our own battles. The argument that "You don't know what you are talking about because you aren't a parent" can be valid. So can:
- "You don't know what you are talking about, you don't have the same interests and goals as mine."
- "You don't know what you are talking about until you've gone through depression yourself."
- "You don't know what you are talking about if you've never been poor."
This list can go on too: education, work, sexual orientation etc.
There is a part of me that thinks:
- this cannot be our only defense, though.
- if you can only form an opinion after experiencing it, Simon Cowell wouldn't have a career.
- maybe educating ourselves about it helps.
But no matter who you are, or especially if you are that parent, it can be hurtful when people judge your life and choices. So let's extend the courtesy and go easy on judging other people's — or at least mine.
Image credit: the internet?

Comments