Glitch

Yes, thank you.
(Photo by Alireza Attari on Unsplash)

I sent my car for routine service and some parts replacement on Thursday. Replacing parts means I have to leave the car at the service centre as they have to order stuff. They called half an hour before closing time Friday and asked me to come before the cashier closed as "the work is almost done". I reached there 10 minutes after, only to be told that now some other thing broke when they tried to replace a spring or screw or something. All I heard was, I'd wasted a couple of trips and the car was still a no go. And apparently, this newly broken royal screw will only be available next Tuesday or Wednesday. In addition, of all the weekends we have this year, this is a weekend I need the car for a dinner that I have to show up to as part of my social obligation.

It was Friday. The week was ok. It wasn't really a spectacular-I-just-won-a-million-dollars week, but I'm still breathing. A small part of me wanted to let somebody, anybody, know that they'd wasted my time, but the rest reminded me that it was a tiny glitch, I'm a cool and calm person, these people did their best (probably), it's Friday, don't ruin everyone's excitement for the weekend, I still have to see the same people come next service, and for God's sake 7,000+ died in Nepal this past month. (Or most importantly, these are the same people who handle my car brakes. So...)

But I was close to a meltdown. Not an I'm-going-to-strangle-you meltdown, but a you-really-hurt-my-feelings-I'm-going-to-roll-on-the-floor-and-cry meltdown. I'd prefer for glitches to stop finding me.

Comments