The Maze Runner, +TV



I think I haven't gotten sick of the post-apocalyptic genre yet. I just saw The Maze Runner and loved it.

I had varying degrees of obsession throughout the five seasons of The Walking Dead, though, from full-blown when it started to hoping-it-would-just-end-already in the middle. Seriously, how many zombie-eating-human scenes can you take in five years? But the second half of last season when the group was separated and making the journey to Terminus was great because we knew Terminus, advertised as sanctuary, was too good to be true. I understand these people were holding on to whatever sliver of hope they had, but come on.

So that was enough to make me excited for season 5 to start. And you know what happened on the first episode, which aired last week. I still have to pause and cover my face every time I think of that scene. How could you, TWD writers?

Let's move on and ponder what the hell happened on Falling Skies. So I kind of liked the first season. Then they have to elect Tom Mason as the President of the United States...? Wh-at? Whose idea is this? It has gotten even weirder by the week and it's a long list of weird: Lexi, Lourdes, Lexi's alien father, stealing a page from vampire movies' playbook with that spike connection storyline between Ben and Maggie and -- wait for it -- Tom Mason's going to the moon! It's not that I religiously watch every episode anyway, but I wish the writers would have calmed down a little bit.

Homeland (S4) on the other hand is, of course, its usual self: still with no character to root for, depressing and making me hooked to it *knocks head on desk*.

So thank God for Veep (S3), which is just pure brilliance. Take note, world leaders, this is how you should run a country.

Speaking of which, I can't remember if Game of Thrones has ever had a bad episode. So I planned to read the series because you have to -- as a show of respect to George R R Martin. Then it took me a long time to finish the first book, and by the time I did, the idea of reading the other four or six(?) books in the series felt like climbing six mountains to me. I'm embarrassed of my determination level, but I'm being realistic too. Judging from the first book and the first season of the show, though, I feel like the writers have been doing a good job adapting the book. So I think -- I hope -- I'm not missing anything. Sorry, George.

The earlier seasons of the The Good Wife were ok to me. Just like with Falling Skies, I wasn't an avid viewer; if it was there during dinner, I'd watch it. But season 5 was really good, it almost felt like watching a new show. Although you can be sure that I don't understand half of the legal strategy, I get the fast-paced drama. And the thing that stands out the most to me is the score (by David Buckley), which is riveting and excellent. In my head, they even fit some of my work meetings -- the 6,721 other things that I actually think of while I'm putting a huge smile and a composed manner in front of an audience. On another note, we would like to thank Will Gardner and hope he rests in peace, but I think we are ready to move on to Finn Polmar now.

Downton Abbey (S5) has now entered the middle-seasons-of-The-Walking-Dead phase to me -- the excitement of watching it has diluted a little, but you still watch it because you are loyal, you are still into discovering what 1920s social rule or noble etiquette that'll personally attack you next, and you are always up to be graced by Violet's one liners.

I saw The Amazing Race (S24) recently. The Amazing Race is no Survivor, but I found the season entertaining enough. (My last memory of TAR was Colin and Christie and a bunch of stubborn cows in the Philippines, which was really fun to watch). Ok, I don't have anything else to say about the show.

Back to The Maze Runner. Although I have dozens of questions about the logic of the storyline -- a quick one: why on earth did those scientists fake their own deaths -- I hope the rest of the movies in the trilogy are going to be at least as good as the first one. I'm also trying to read the book now.

Good night.

Image: HBO

Comments