Living Light: Clothes


Yes, I'm about to blog about "owning less things", and you're about to roll your eyes with "Oh, here we go, another person announcing how she recently found a light, or fell into a fad, and how it changed her life." You're most probably right.

_____

I am not rich (yet), so owning less things is not that hard to do*. But this has become a growing interest of mine: having a small and effective wardrobe, stripping away clothing items that
  • haven't been worn for a long time, and let's admit it, will probably never be worn again no matter how hard I try to convince myself otherwise. (Example: five-year-old top last worn four years ago that I still keep because "I'm just waiting for the right time to wear it again. Plus, it's so preeety!")
  • do not make me happy (anymore).
  • are not really needed / don't have much function / are excess / you know, part of the preparation in case I go to space or fishing, or get invited to the Oscars.
(*I've been in situations where I couldn't even afford to buy a pair of socks :).)

I'm sure I'll eventually win a million dollars for it, but for now this small wardrobe makes it easier for me to dress, organize and pack -- and makes me a little saner:
  • My mind is no longer racing, thinking of what shoes I need to have next.
  • I've stopped pretending that I'm paying attention to the meal and coffee and company in front of me when my mind is actually thinking about the top that I was contemplating of buying an hour ago.
  • I no longer have these episodes of running frantically to three other stores looking for my size because the first one has run out of it.

This is a work in progress of over a few years, one that I was never convinced I'd do for long. And now I'm down to about 100+ pieces of clothing items, including things like suitcase, accessories, sportswear and day dresses I wear at home. (I didn't set a number, I let go of things that I don't want, and it left me with that.)

I still have a few items that I rarely wear or still keep for sentimental reason, though, because I'm also practical and a human. Example: a wool jacket for cold-weather travelling, a knapsack (seriously, I might go hiking next week), several pairs of traditional wear for kenduri etc and a bracelet that my mother made me.

While I imagine I probably need to add / replace some of them in the next one year -- because practical and human -- I promise I'll stop this crap if it stops making me happy, or once I found myself a real purpose in life.

Comments