Stories


If you are looking for two movies to watch this weekend, watch Savages and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I like Savages a lot. I didn't expect part of the movie would be about three individuals in a polyamorous relationship. Yes, never heard about it either. Apparently it exists and can work. The movie's kind of dark too. Probably one of my favourites this year.

Although I probably should stop watching too much TV already, I love stories — from TV, movies, books, blogs and pictures, to maybe the ones behind a cultural tradition or a building. (I cannot stress enough how much I hate people minding other people's business when they shouldn't, though.) Stories are sources of entertainment, inspiration, surprise and escape.

I found this comment on a HuffPost article "Why I've Struggled To Reconcile The Fate Of Jesse Pinkman On 'Breaking Bad''', responding to another comment that says something like Jesse Pinkman is just a TV character and asks if people who are agonizing over his fate are lacking depth in their lives:

"... great books, music, art, movies, and yes even TV, do more than just entertain. They inspire conversation and thoughtfulness, teach lessons or bring us to question ourselves, and make us look at each other and the world around us. Could we all be Walter Whites or Jesse Pinkmans in the same circumstances? It's worth thinking about, and even talking about as it relates beyond 'just a TV show'." — HeyJude007.

Sometimes when I have a not-so-smooth day, I think of the day when Jesse was soaked with blue liquid, and I'd be reminded that my day must not be that bad.

Screenshot: from Savages, Universal Pictures

Comments