Gap (Not the Brand)

On my way home today, I saw a homeless old man changing his clothes by the roadside, and he was with all of his belongings: a bicycle and two half-broken umbrellas tied to a school fence, a few bags and boxes, and a pile of empty plastic bottles. I assumed he was homeless and that was all he owned. I don't think he's a beggar. I think he gets money from collecting stuff to be recycled.

In many parts of this country right now, people are buying a thousand-dollar baju raya and squealing how cheap it is because "It's on sale!" while in some other corners, people are sleeping by the roadside.

What do you think, rich people? Are they too stupid and too lazy to have a better life? Did these people make too many bad decisions in the past, so now they just get what they deserve? Did they practice the law of attraction wrong?

On the other hand, you've been working hard and smart all your life, you deserve to reward yourself with this million-dollar house and thousand-dollar clothes. And not that you've never donated anything; you pay tons in taxes and have bought thousands of dollars' worth of table at a recent charity event.

Ok, let's take a step back and not burden only the rich to save the world. Because we all know they are already carrying too much load on their shoulders... Plus, you don't have to be rich to give. You can help with whatever you have.

So did I do anything to help the old man? No, I didn't.

1) I was driving. 2) Should I just stop my car by the roadside and help him with something? 3) Should I bring him home and adopt him, so he'll have a place to stay? Should I give him RM10? Or RM55.20... That was how much a necklace that I bought today cost. Then what? Will his problem be solved? Should I forget about the necklace? But I've been waiting for it to go on sale! And what a joke, I still have loans and debts to pay off!

So I did nothing to help him today. I was only wasting some time thinking about the gap between the poor and the rich.

(In general, my friends and I do not support beggars. We believe there are better ways to donate. I'm torn with this stance all the time.)

Selamat Hari Raya, everyone. May we have a long, good and happy life.

(👋🏼 It's time of the year again when we get in line reciting the same annual bermaafan script because our ego won't allow us to ask for forgiveness right after we make those mistakes, then we go make those obligatory visits.)

(Last year's 'tiny realization' is so not staying for long.)

Comments