Grocery Shopping and Plastic Bags

I woke up this morning remembering that I needed to do grocery shopping today, first; and it's a public holiday today, second. (My life is exciting.)

Man, I should have done it yesterday. I don't do shopping, let alone grocery shopping, during crowded times. But I've been putting this off since last week. So there I was, in crowded aisle after crowded aisle, with banging trolleys and tension and/or confused-looking humans, some with equally miserable offspring.

Saturday is now the No Plastic Bag Day over here, which is great, I guess. I recycle and try to reduce my trash. I'm glad that McDonald's has stopped using plastic bags except for their hot drinks. I felt guilty every time I drive-thru, looking at the number of bags used. It's a bit of a challenge now, though, maneuvering on corners in my old car with cold drinks on the passenger seat, which sometimes spill out anyway. Things I do to save the environment. Things I do for my great-great-grandchildren.

But I don't understand why some people insist on using the reusable cloth bags like it's their new religion but still buy tons of plastic garbage bags?

Then someone explained it to me that these people need the garbage bags which are bigger in size to suit their needs.

🤷🏻‍♀️ I don't know.

I always refuse the small plastic bags, especially if I'm buying things that I can just carry in my two hands, anyway. But as of now, the plastic shopping bags are my garbage bags.

If only there were a way to let go of the rolled plastic bags that we use to put the loose produce, though. I would take two inches of ginger and pass it to be weighed, and the guy would seal it into a huge bag that could fit three kilos of ginger before I could stop him.

Poor my great-grandchildren. God knows, grandma has tried.

Maybe partly from the excitement and chaos all over the supermarket, I bought some fish that I had never bought before (because I never knew what to do with them) -- tenggiri and patin.

Gasp.

I don't know if I've ever eaten patin before. Or maybe I eat a lot of fish but rarely know their names. I was browsing the boards in the fish section... 'Pari... siakap... bla... bla... tenggiri... patin...'

Patin sounds just like the fish that I need to buy today. Then I took a piece and almost screamed. Have you seen a patin's head? OMG, thinking about it now makes me want to scream again. But, no way. As an avid cook, I had to calmly hand the fish to the guy to cut it with I-know-exactly-what-to-do-with-this nod.

Comments