When No One's Looking

Somehow, some people in this country think if you are in my line of work, you must now be able to afford a [name a stupidly expensive car]. The horror.

Of course I don't drive that [stupidly expensive car]. (That explains.) So I'll just avoid talking about how much I make when I'm with clients. I don't lie. I just never get near the subject; when Mr Kind was talking about his well-to-do friend, I just smiled and nodded like a Stepford robot, wondering what's the point of this.

So there was this day when I stopped at a red light and saw Mr Kind approaching to cross the street. No bloody way! I've so far managed to avoid such situation, and now Mr Kind was standing right next to my window! I quickly grabbed a piece of paper from the pile of mess on the passenger seat next to me, pretending that I was so engrossed reading it and didn't see him. So I'm kind of sure that he didn't notice me in my car either.

I had an appointment with Mr Kind again today, and I waited for almost two hours as he was still in another meeting when I arrived. By the time he got back to his office, the floor was already empty as people had left for the weekend. That was perfectly fine with me, so I had an excuse to escape a long chat. Anyway, Mr Kind is an I-trust-you-know-what-to-do kind of person. So in less than 10 minutes, the documents were signed, and I said my thanks and left.

When I reached the exit located at the back of the building, there was no one attending the booth and the barrier had been lowered. I honked a few times, but it looked like everyone had left. I reversed my car and walked to the main entrance to get help. Then I saw Mr Kind drive to the barrier, use his pass card, and the barrier lifted. I kept walking, but he already saw me and called my name. So I turned back.

"Problem getting your car out?" he asked.

"It's ok, I'll get someone to help."

"Let me help. Where's your car?" There's only one car in sight, Mr Kind.

I walked back to my car, and Mr Kind just removed a small signboard that was merely stuck to the ground next to the barrier and made way for my car. Just that? Just remove the signboard? I SO need to buy that [stupidly expensive car] yesterday.

Comments