Yesteryear and The Alchemist


"How does it feel reading a book that you cannot stand?" I asked myself as I continued reading two books that I could not stand.


Yesteryear

People who are so itchy for the tradwife lifestyle can read this. I shouldn’t have. But the internet made me read it, and the verdict is no.

The story is about Natalie, an online tradwife influencer, a modern-day conservative woman who also marries rich, cosplaying the farm life. One day she wakes up in 1855, without electricity or an army of staff, and is forced to live an actual tradwife life that is not hers.

I thought it was going to be a comedy, and it was going to be hilarious (remember chick lit, from 20 years ago?). Nothing was hilarious about it.

I get that this is still a satire. The story wants to mock the cosplaying. But it turns dark. And the twist at the end turns even darker. Darker and illogical. I’m so serious about the illogical part.

But even before that, finishing the book was a dread. I didn’t have the patience for it, but I did it anyway because I have not been reading much this year. It felt like a test. If I didn’t finish this one, I wasn’t going to finish any book this year.

The problem with Yesteryear for me is, there’s no character to root for. I get that this tradwife, for example, doesn’t have to be a hero, but it was excruciating to follow an all-around annoying environment.

Also, I need dialogue and banter when reading books these days. I need joy. I need to be swept off my feet. Yesteryear just makes me want to pull my hair out.


The Alchemist

I read a spoiler for the book years ago, and I knew it was not for me.

But this is also me: sometimes my intrusive thoughts take over. I saw my niece read it recently, complete with markings and sticky notes all over the book. And the book didn’t look very thick. Why not, right?

So, I found the book and was put on another test *knocks head on desk*.

The story is about an Andalusian shepherd boy and his journey looking for a treasure buried near the Egyptian pyramids that he learns of its existence from his dreams. This pursuit brings him to another continent, across the ocean and desert. This book is thousands and thousands of words of advice for you to pursue your dreams and fulfil your life’s purpose.

I’m sure millions benefit from the boy’s journey, life lessons and experiences. But I’m at a phase of my life where I’m already tired of these many veiled advice. I’ve already heard so many versions and forms of them. If they don’t get through my skull, they don’t get through my skull.

And the lessons are mostly written in codes and riddles. So, I don’t have the time to interpret or guess them either. And they don’t have to be written that way. I think you’ll learn the lessons from the book more by reading the reviews.

But there’s one thing that I like about the book: The boy finds his treasure in the end. And that last part is clever, relieving and a joyful twist. I deserve that reward.


Image: Alfred A.Knopf, HarperOne

Comments