A Health Scare Story, But Mainly a Gratitude Post (3)
4 January, 2024. By now I'd done five days of the antibiotics. The coughing seemed to reduce, but it was still strong especially at night and in the morning.
I did the scan at the first private hospital I went to last week. And it was an emotional experience. My mother had her surgery, scans and early rounds of doctor appointments there. As if I'd gone one day since her passing not thinking about her, but being in the room, thinking how she had also been there for her scans, was rough. This was probably the same machine that she used. How scared was she? But she was strong. She was probably not as scared as I was.
Also, I'm scared of needles. Every time needles are involved, I'd be emotional.
The report was out within two hours. I read and googled it but didn't understand a thing. So I requested to see a doctor there. I couldn't wait 19 January for Public Hospital A for this. I'd go crazy by then.
So, the doctor explained it to me. There was atelectasis ie one curved line on my lung, which apparently in layman's terms is a scar. Not dangerous. There was bronchiolitis, which was the infection, but it looked mild, maybe because of the antibiotics. And there were a few other things, but overall, bottom line, was nothing dangerous. No masses etc. No C word.
I felt like crying. OMG.
"So, doctor, what is that white spot they found on my x-ray?"
"What white spot?" she asked. She looked at the x-ray CD and took a minute. "I think... this is your nipple."
"MY WHAT?"
"Yes, this is a nipple shadow. Only one shows. But see, when I change the contrast, this one disappears, and another appears on the other side."
"OMG." I could kiss the screen. I could kiss the doctor. I could kiss the ground. I didn't care that I was poor and had just spent a lot of money on the scan and this appointment. It was my nipple! It was just my f-ing nipple! Thank God!
So the main story of this episode of health scare was over. There was nothing wrong with my lungs. There was still coughing, but that felt minor now. The antibiotics helped. Maybe I'd just need a few more weeks to fully recover. But maybe I'll blog the rest of it as well as the other health scares. Who knows if it could help anyone because I actually continued to have the coughing for the next four months.
Image: knockknockstuff.com
I did the scan at the first private hospital I went to last week. And it was an emotional experience. My mother had her surgery, scans and early rounds of doctor appointments there. As if I'd gone one day since her passing not thinking about her, but being in the room, thinking how she had also been there for her scans, was rough. This was probably the same machine that she used. How scared was she? But she was strong. She was probably not as scared as I was.
Also, I'm scared of needles. Every time needles are involved, I'd be emotional.
The report was out within two hours. I read and googled it but didn't understand a thing. So I requested to see a doctor there. I couldn't wait 19 January for Public Hospital A for this. I'd go crazy by then.
So, the doctor explained it to me. There was atelectasis ie one curved line on my lung, which apparently in layman's terms is a scar. Not dangerous. There was bronchiolitis, which was the infection, but it looked mild, maybe because of the antibiotics. And there were a few other things, but overall, bottom line, was nothing dangerous. No masses etc. No C word.
I felt like crying. OMG.
"So, doctor, what is that white spot they found on my x-ray?"
"What white spot?" she asked. She looked at the x-ray CD and took a minute. "I think... this is your nipple."
"MY WHAT?"
"Yes, this is a nipple shadow. Only one shows. But see, when I change the contrast, this one disappears, and another appears on the other side."
"OMG." I could kiss the screen. I could kiss the doctor. I could kiss the ground. I didn't care that I was poor and had just spent a lot of money on the scan and this appointment. It was my nipple! It was just my f-ing nipple! Thank God!
So the main story of this episode of health scare was over. There was nothing wrong with my lungs. There was still coughing, but that felt minor now. The antibiotics helped. Maybe I'd just need a few more weeks to fully recover. But maybe I'll blog the rest of it as well as the other health scares. Who knows if it could help anyone because I actually continued to have the coughing for the next four months.
Image: knockknockstuff.com

Comments