I’m Rooting for These Movies for Oscars

Two out of these three will probably not win more than one award at next week's Oscars. But I'll jump and scream for them if they do.

My three favourite 2020 Oscar movies:


1917


I think most of us can't watch this movie without instantly comparing it to Saving Private Ryan, only because of their similar premise: soldiers tasked with a rescue mission that requires them to sneak through an enemy's land.

In 1917, two young men are to race against time and call off a scheduled attack at the other end of the war zone that would save two battalions of the Allied armies from walking into a trap.

While Saving Private Ryan is gripping with its brutal battle scenes, 1917 is transporting us with its score, lighting, and delightful cinematography of a seemingly continuous shot, bouncing us from one war experience to another. It's a story of an underdog's journey, not obvious heroes. You stay close to keep the characters company and root for them till the end. I came out in awe with its quiet, breath-holding brilliance.


Jojo Rabbit


This dark comedy is Nazi Germany seen through the eyes of a 10-year-old Hitler Youth, Johannes (nicknamed "Jojo Rabbit" after he refused to kill a rabbit as a test at the camp).

It's bizarre to describe a movie about genocide as fun, funny and quirky. But that's Jojo Rabbit and its breakout character Yorki, Jojo's always-cheerful best friend.

While seemingly supportive of his time with the Hitler Youth, Jojo's mother is secretly in the "resistance" and hiding a Jewish girl in their attic. Jojo's also told that his father is away fighting the war, but it is hinted that he may have deserted.

The bigger story, however, is that his imaginary friend is Hitler himself. This goofy, bumbling version of Hitler is essentially his life advisor, giving him all sorts of encouragement, including one that lands him in the hospital at one point.

Almost all WWII movies are as depressing or numbing as you can imagine. This movie, which still has its heart-wrenching moments, is giving us a little break.


Parasite


Parasite is a gift of a dark comedy. Everything that makes the movie is meticulously executed and hits the mark. It's as arresting and hilarious as it is honest and heartbreaking. It's a story about classes and consequences, often cleverly symbolized by the use of staircases or cockroach-like scattering humans, for example, mocking behaviours surrounding money -- from too much or lack of it. It's an all-around refreshing work of art. I feel lucky that I got to watch this. This year's Oscar for Best Picture should go to Parasite.

_____


Others:

With all the hype, The Irishman and Joker are probably the two biggest disappointments in the last year's movie list to me. I did watch Joker anyway and wrote about it here. I quit The Irishman probably at 75% mark. And that's already a lot of monotone dialogue to endure, the movie is three and a half hours long.

I did not finish Knives Out and The Two Popes either. Quit both maybe after 20 minutes. Still, I was in awe at the supposed inside look of the Vatican -- the fashion, the ceremony -- as always. Then I was kind of over it once the two Popes started talking in that garden. I was expecting an endless exchange of funny lines between the two and did not see it in those 20 minutes. It's amazing, though, and almost hilarious that both Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce do look like the two Popes. Yeah, that's my main takeaway from the movie.

I haven't seen the others but will probably look for Marriage Story, Bombshell and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. And although not in the Oscar list, maybe Hustlers too.

Image: Universal Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Neon

Comments