Chernobyl
Because this is one of very few bright shots from the series.
I don't own much stuff, but if I were ordered to leave my home due to a disaster nearby, even with the promise that I'll be able to return, I'd still bring with me at least two IKEA DIMPA bags of belongings. It's only my right, too. I don't keep garbage. Every single thing I own has function. Well, most of them but, still, it's in a high percentage. It gives me anxiety seeing everyone leaving Pripyat with just one tiny suitcase. I mean, I love living light, but not that light.
I'd probably get thrown out of the bus for my excess baggage then, I realize. But seriously, what happened to the cars? Did these people get compensated? Then again, bringing stuff that has already been exposed to radiation is probably not a good idea either. This is so infuriating.
Ok fine, it was people's lives that needed saving first, which brings us to another round of anxiety seeing how a nuclear catastrophe is handled at Chernobyl. I guess it sucks being the earlier people on earth. The later generation gets to learn from their mistakes. Or not. But it would have been nice to be warned about the looming danger of the radiation exposure. I don't know what the exact safety measures were, but a giant nuclear site just exploded, you'd think the first responders would at least wear masks and gloves.
Anyway, Chernobyl the five-part series is a must-watch, even if your main takeaway is learning that three people were essentially asked to die to drain the flood under the reactor to avoid a bigger second explosion. On top of that, nearly 4,000 liquidators took turns to manually clean the site's roof for 90 seconds each, after the attempt to do so using robots failed due to high radiation. The 4,000, by the way, were paid with 800 rubles for the job, which equals to $1,055 in 1986 or $13 in today's money. But do not diss on the 800 rubles just yet. Apparently it could be an 8-month salary back then. Still, when it's the price to risk your life.
Chernobyl brings to life the story of a perfect disaster and its aftermath -- from unpreparedness, bureaucracy, pride, flaws and errors to cover-ups and crimes. But it's also a story about the resilience and sacrifices of hundreds of thousands of people from various walks of life, coming together, risking their lives for their country and saving millions others. I'll shut up about my DIMPA bags for now.
Image: HBO

Comments