Survivor 38, Episodes 5 & 6

"IT'S LIKE THE WORST COCKTAIL PARTY EVER"


Lesu in challenges is gold. They cheer for each other, but their yelling and bickering are better. And I'm sorry. As much as I should say some uplifting words about never giving up or something, I'm also watching a TV show. Their struggles are comical. Maybe it's because 75% of the tribe members look athletic and the other 25% is allegedly good at puzzles, and yet they still lose most of the time. They have in their tribe two highly hyped returnees, one college athlete and a man named Wardog for god's sake!

During the first reward challenge, David struggles to stand on Wardog's shoulders to reach the bolos. And after several failed attempts, he is replaced by Lauren, who yells at Wardog when she falls face first, not being caught properly by her team. Then Wardog struggles to land the bolo on target. I mean, I'm sure many others would have the same problem if their name were not Joey Amazing, but we are only shown Wardog's throws here, and it is great. David admits the ridiculousness of their losing streak even before being asked by Jeff later on the mat. Yeah, it makes me feel guilty juuustt a little for all the fun I have watching them.

Then at the first immunity challenge, what else is new, Lesu is trailing behind again. While the other two tribes are already working on their puzzles, Lesu is still unable to release their first piece from underwater. I was so prepared to see the other two tribes finish their puzzles before Lesu even released any of theirs. Then Wardog lives up to his name, I guess, and releases one puzzle piece. The other one is released by Lauren. Although Kama's solved puzzle might have helped them with the win, still, that is a huge come-from-behind victory.

This is how Aubry ends up being blindsided at the new Manu, with an idol that she so wanted to check off her Survivor list and an extra vote advantage in her bag. Speaking of the blindside, I'm liking Victoria even more now and maybe her current scheming with Gavin and Eric — I'm not sure yet, since Gavin and Eric have already formed an alliance with each other.

So, the vote went 4-1:
Eric, Gavin, Victoria and Wendy voted for Aubry.
Aubry voted for Wendy.

Imagine that, Wendy finding people to vote with her, voting correctly, and voting Aubry.

Bonus Island is great as a sitcom. You have every character you need for it: the angry, the neurotic, the brooding, the awkwardly funny, the confused, and soon The-You-Can't-Eat-Animal-But-I-Can. They also have something to look forward to almost every day now: maps, riddles, treasure hunts, advice, secret weapons, gifts, Reem yelling. But because this is a sitcom, after agreeing to get the items together as a group, one of them sneaks out to get them first before being chased by the other three.

"Keith, you jerk!" Reem yells while they hastily put their shoes on.

We need the clip of Keith racing to the tree and being pushed by Chris saved in a file for future reference.

They hunt for another treasure the next day, which is spotted by Reem but grabbed by Keith first — an advantage to penalize his biggest threat. "Oh, Chris is in trouble," Keith says.

There's only one idol for the second immunity challenge, so both Manu and Lesu go to tribal, voting for one person.

The first round resulted in a 4-4 tie between Lauren and Wendy, and a series of emergency whispered meetings:
Eric, Gavin, Victoria and Wendy voted for Lauren.
David, Kelley, Lauren and Wardog voted for Wendy.

Then Wendy left in a 6-0 revote:
Eric, David, Gavin, Kelley Victoria and Wardog voted for Wendy.

I mean, it's not like she was expecting a team of allies that she'd built to back her up. In fact, she's happier being voted out than letting starving people eat chicken. She'll eat a cheeseburger in Ponderosa, though.

So, next week is the merge!


Image: CBS

Comments