Movie, Book and Podcast
I'm catching up 🏃🏻♀️🏃🏻♀️🏃🏻♀️.
MOVIE: Love, Simon
I still love the movie. And Nick Robinson and Keiynan Lonsdale are perfect for the roles. Buut... you know always the problem with people who "have read the book", we've already imprinted every scene from the book on our brains, so we kind of do not want the movie to change or skip them much. Plus, there are not many scenes between Simon and Blue in the movie. The movie should be longer anyway (it’s only 110 minutes). So where is the magic electric pull? Where is the full-blown chemistry between the two?
But it's still cute and entertaining, and it won't make you stop grinning and cheering for it. It's also nice to meet with a couple of new characters (eg Ethan) or the movie version of the book characters (Taylor, Ms Albright) and laugh at tons of new funny lines.
I get that this movie is important beyond than just "to entertain". I only wish it had landed stronger.
BOOK: Leah on the Offbeat
Leah on the Offbeat is essentially a Simon Vs sequel, told from Leah's point of view. So, although this is Leah's story, we do get to see Simon and Bram again -- all in their senior year, preparing for college. And what an honour to get to know Leah more, the Queen of Deadpan Delivery.
I'm glad I only read Simon Vs early this year, so I only had to wait a couple of months to reunite with these characters. And just like Simon Vs, ugh, there's so much happiness reading this one, I tell ya. I'm never reading non-YA again, ever. Adults are so depressing. But I would kind of be ok if we had a different final pairing, to be honest, though. Because, really, I think it would be good for these kids to also date people outside of their lunch table, no? Still, read this if you like happiness.
I want Simon Vs and Leah on audiobook so I can giggle uncontrollably listening to them on the train.
PODCAST: My Dad Wrote a Porno
Speaking of giggling uncontrollably on trains, and if you want more happiness with laughter that you can't stop and makes your stomach hurt -- listen to this podcast: a discussion with your two best friends about a porn series written by your dad, who's not really a writer, let alone a porn writer.
Because discussing porn work by your real porn writer dad would be normal. Or, forget dad, discussing any porn work with your friends is also totally normal. So, yeah.
I found out about the podcast from @benbarnes's Twitter, because Westworld*, last year. Then homaigod, what a solidarity following #pornoday on Twitter. (*So, thanks, Dolores. But I still hate season 2.)
Images: HarperCollins, mydadwroteaporno.com
MOVIE: Love, Simon
I still love the movie. And Nick Robinson and Keiynan Lonsdale are perfect for the roles. Buut... you know always the problem with people who "have read the book", we've already imprinted every scene from the book on our brains, so we kind of do not want the movie to change or skip them much. Plus, there are not many scenes between Simon and Blue in the movie. The movie should be longer anyway (it’s only 110 minutes). So where is the magic electric pull? Where is the full-blown chemistry between the two?
But it's still cute and entertaining, and it won't make you stop grinning and cheering for it. It's also nice to meet with a couple of new characters (eg Ethan) or the movie version of the book characters (Taylor, Ms Albright) and laugh at tons of new funny lines.
I get that this movie is important beyond than just "to entertain". I only wish it had landed stronger.
BOOK: Leah on the Offbeat
Leah on the Offbeat is essentially a Simon Vs sequel, told from Leah's point of view. So, although this is Leah's story, we do get to see Simon and Bram again -- all in their senior year, preparing for college. And what an honour to get to know Leah more, the Queen of Deadpan Delivery.
I'm glad I only read Simon Vs early this year, so I only had to wait a couple of months to reunite with these characters. And just like Simon Vs, ugh, there's so much happiness reading this one, I tell ya. I'm never reading non-YA again, ever. Adults are so depressing. But I would kind of be ok if we had a different final pairing, to be honest, though. Because, really, I think it would be good for these kids to also date people outside of their lunch table, no? Still, read this if you like happiness.
I want Simon Vs and Leah on audiobook so I can giggle uncontrollably listening to them on the train.
PODCAST: My Dad Wrote a Porno
Speaking of giggling uncontrollably on trains, and if you want more happiness with laughter that you can't stop and makes your stomach hurt -- listen to this podcast: a discussion with your two best friends about a porn series written by your dad, who's not really a writer, let alone a porn writer.
Because discussing porn work by your real porn writer dad would be normal. Or, forget dad, discussing any porn work with your friends is also totally normal. So, yeah.
I found out about the podcast from @benbarnes's Twitter, because Westworld*, last year. Then homaigod, what a solidarity following #pornoday on Twitter. (*So, thanks, Dolores. But I still hate season 2.)
Images: HarperCollins, mydadwroteaporno.com


Comments