Happy New Year! (If You Are Not Annoying)


Happy new year!

This year, I’m going to give (even) less chance for people* to invade my space.

*that asshole who
- stands too close behind me in line.
- discovers and likes my happy place, and thinks it’s a good idea to take it from me.
- thinks the sole purpose of my time and energy is to serve them and their grievances and needs and secrets -- while the total emotional connection between us is exactly zero.
- thinks it’s their right to ask me personal questions at times when it is not.
- thinks it’s their right to ask me personal questions, at times when it is not, within the first TWO MINUTES EVER talking to me!
- etc.

Of course I've realized this for a long time -- that many think friendliness is an approval to invade the (seemingly) friendly person's space -- I just don't know what to do about it.

Social interaction is sometimes a work for me. While I *don't mind* it, I need to recharge after a while. It requires effort and energy to be fully engaged and happy and interested that I can't just snap them out of my fingers all the time.

This energy is drained even more quickly when I soon discover that I don't enjoy the interaction, when I feel like I'm being kind and this other person just doesn't know when to stop. This sounds like an introvert's trait, right? Not a curmudgeon's? Or a depressed person's?

So what do I do? If a line is crossed, do I suddenly stop smiling and tell this person off? What about that hug or warm handshake that I just gave them two minutes ago? What about that sweet, interested tone that I've been using throughout this conversation? Don't say I'm to be blamed for that hug. I CAN hug people without asking them when their uterus is going to work again two minutes later. And so can everybody.

It's possible, people! It's possible to be friendly without asking personal questions. Ask about the other person's interests, ask about things that you know for sure they are proud of! (Not that uterus inactivity or activity is something to be ashamed of.)

So, there you go, a little happy note and sweet, gooey positivity to start the new year.

Comments