#np: Podcast
I don't have time to listen to music anymore. I started listening to podcasts about four years ago: a Survivor podcast. I think all non-casual fans know which one. I had no one to discuss Survivor with. So, to finally learn that there was a group of people out there who would unapologetically geek out about the same favourite show as me was kind of great.
I listen to too many podcasts now: while doing work, house chores and yoga (nothing more relaxing than listening to podcast hosts ranting); while running; when I go out alone; when I don't want to talk to humans or make eye contact; during commute; before sleep. It's almost like I need to find a real friend or something.
So over the years, I did get sucked into Serial, season 1. (Come on, who finished season 2?) And yes, I listened to S-Town this year, which was after I finished reading A Little Life. So things were not grim at all for a while here.
But the real rabbit hole that I got myself into this year is political: podcasts, tweets, jokes, late night shows, news, internet, everything *knocks head on desk*.
I wrote in this post on how I was easily sucked into the US election campaign speeches and in this post about the time I became Seth Meyers' fan ie the 2011 WHCA Dinner. Sigh, this is awkward. Take the theory with many, many grains of salt, and I don't even think it's true, but if Trump really ran for president because of Obama's and Seth Meyers' speeches that night -- while I did think some of the jokes were a little mean, I was also one of those people who applauded and laughed my ass off listening to the speeches. And here we are.
Going back to the podcast -- I shouldn't be doing this, but for over a year now I've been listening to a number of political podcasts hosted by Obama's former aides, two of whom were his speechwriters in 2011. It's like a payback time for all the laughter and happiness that I've had all these years!
The thing is, it's hard to escape Trump news these days, and I'm thousands of miles away from the US ffs! I follow US election news like I follow pop culture or a TV show: for fun and as something that I can switch on and off whenever I want to because it doesn't really affect me directly. In other words, we, the US election news and I, have no reason to give more than zero care for each other.
The crack dealer of this irrational life choice is Twitter. I mainly use Twitter for reading, and for jokes and Survivor news. But since this round of election, there is no escape, even the jokes are all political. I still love the jokes, but I know there is a less than funny story behind most of them. And those news, those reminders, can get a little overwhelming sometimes.
I have the option to switch this flow of info off, but that would also require me to live a simple, easy and happy life without the internet -- and that's a hard NO.
p/s
- I now follow Trevor Noah's Daily Show on YouTube too.
- Also, Hasan Minhaj was so good at this year's WHCA Dinner.
- This year's biggest bow, however, goes to Melissa McCarthy and her giant gum-chewing.
- My political filter is almost functioning again, though, so I've now ditched most of the political podcasts. Following new people who rarely tweet about politics helps.
S-Town art cover: by Valero Doval, via Wikipedia.
I listen to too many podcasts now: while doing work, house chores and yoga (nothing more relaxing than listening to podcast hosts ranting); while running; when I go out alone; when I don't want to talk to humans or make eye contact; during commute; before sleep. It's almost like I need to find a real friend or something.
So over the years, I did get sucked into Serial, season 1. (Come on, who finished season 2?) And yes, I listened to S-Town this year, which was after I finished reading A Little Life. So things were not grim at all for a while here.
Question: Would McLemore approve of this story being broadcast?
But the real rabbit hole that I got myself into this year is political: podcasts, tweets, jokes, late night shows, news, internet, everything *knocks head on desk*.
I wrote in this post on how I was easily sucked into the US election campaign speeches and in this post about the time I became Seth Meyers' fan ie the 2011 WHCA Dinner. Sigh, this is awkward. Take the theory with many, many grains of salt, and I don't even think it's true, but if Trump really ran for president because of Obama's and Seth Meyers' speeches that night -- while I did think some of the jokes were a little mean, I was also one of those people who applauded and laughed my ass off listening to the speeches. And here we are.
Going back to the podcast -- I shouldn't be doing this, but for over a year now I've been listening to a number of political podcasts hosted by Obama's former aides, two of whom were his speechwriters in 2011. It's like a payback time for all the laughter and happiness that I've had all these years!
The thing is, it's hard to escape Trump news these days, and I'm thousands of miles away from the US ffs! I follow US election news like I follow pop culture or a TV show: for fun and as something that I can switch on and off whenever I want to because it doesn't really affect me directly. In other words, we, the US election news and I, have no reason to give more than zero care for each other.
The crack dealer of this irrational life choice is Twitter. I mainly use Twitter for reading, and for jokes and Survivor news. But since this round of election, there is no escape, even the jokes are all political. I still love the jokes, but I know there is a less than funny story behind most of them. And those news, those reminders, can get a little overwhelming sometimes.
I have the option to switch this flow of info off, but that would also require me to live a simple, easy and happy life without the internet -- and that's a hard NO.
p/s
- I now follow Trevor Noah's Daily Show on YouTube too.
- Also, Hasan Minhaj was so good at this year's WHCA Dinner.
- This year's biggest bow, however, goes to Melissa McCarthy and her giant gum-chewing.
- My political filter is almost functioning again, though, so I've now ditched most of the political podcasts. Following new people who rarely tweet about politics helps.
S-Town art cover: by Valero Doval, via Wikipedia.

Comments