I Bought a Mattress

theburninghouse.com is one of my favourite sites right now. I go through it thinking "These people want to save so little! I'd save everything. I don't want to choose. I can save everything!" to "Wait, does everyone on the internet own a MacBook?"

_____

I threw the queen mattress last month. Actually, I cut it up; I threw the foam layer by layer and gave the spring to a scrap collector. It was so difficult to dispose it legally in one piece. I made tons of phone calls; one mover wanted RM280, and Alam Flora wanted me to bring it two floors down and more to the garbage house. Err, no and NO.

Of all the different-from-some ways I live my life, this one sits in the top five of Even I Am Not Sure Of: sleeping on single mattress. It took me months to decide on this. I'm not only an adult, I'm an old adult. Single mattress sounds depressing. Then the other side of my brain yelled 🗣️: If you want to count what's depressing in your life, single mattress would be the least of your worries! Good point.

The initially also depressing mismatched custom king bed + single mattress turns out to be a small consolation. Or maybe I've learned to embrace imperfection. But I think this questionable pairing looks fine.

I thought I'd need time to adjust to this new, smaller, less firm mattress, but I didn't. Except for that one time during the first five minutes I almost fell off it, this mattress has been good. Worth the two hours bringing it home: from pulling one mattress from the rack and three falling on my leg, to maneuvering the trolley down to the car park, to stripping the packaging and adjusting the mattress so it could fit into my small car, to growing twelve muscles carrying it two floors up to my apartment.

Adulting isn't just about owning the huge furniture, it's also about knowing what works for you. Ok, I just made that up lol what on earth is adulting.

_____

Comments