Movies (2)
Spotlight
The movie, set in 2001/02, follows The Boston Globe's investigative team, Spotlight, and its investigation into the child sex abuse cases in Boston churches and the systematic cover up. The team earned the newspaper a Pulitzer Prize for this work, which uncovers decades of abuse and encourages thousands of victims from all over the world to come forward.
In the movie, the perpetrators -- the priests / clerics -- are sent for counseling / therapy / treatment (whatever that means) for their crimes before being relocated to different churches, where they now... have access to different groups of children. Yeap. I'm positive many convicted pedophiles who are serving time in prison right now would love this same counseling-relocation deal.
Self-righteous religious people already turn me off. Now you're telling me there are people out there who commit sex crimes, systematically abuse their power and hide it all behind a religion.
The Hateful Eight
The story is about eight strangers who seek refuge from a blizzard at a stagecoach stop. (If you are into Maths and stuff, you'll disagree on the number a little, whatever, small detail.) The first group consists of a captured criminal, two bounty hunters, one man who claims he's the new sheriff of the town they are heading to, and one driver. Two of them were picked up by the coach along the journey. The second group that's already at the stop claims to be whoever they claim to be.
This is a Quentin Tarantino movie, so expect fun and gore. I wouldn't say that I like the movie a lot, but the title alone made me want to find it in the first place. Besides its fantastic camera work that probably requires me to learn a few technical terms to describe it, which I won't, the flashback that unfolds the twist is the best part of the movie.
I imagine Steven Spielberg would have tea when directing on set, Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese would have coffee, and Quentin Tarantino would take whatever the opposite of a tranquilizer.
The Martian
It's a story of Mark Watney, a Mars exploration crew member who was presumed dead and left behind when his team evacuated in a storm. Alone and stranded with limited resources, he now has to find ways to survive on the planet until the next team arrives in four years.
It's far from blowing my mind, but I don't feel like it's wasting my time either. So, it is ok, I guess.
The Revenant
Can you be a frontrunner of an Oscar race if your character isn't tortured? Of course, not. Happy people don't deserve a reward.
The Revenant is about Hugh Glass, a frontiersman and fur trapper, who was left for dead by his hunting party members after he was severely injured in a bear attack. The group was earlier ambushed and pursued by Arikara Indians, and they did try to carry Glass along in the beginning. Fearing another attack, they kept moving but eventually got three of their men to stay behind, so Glass would have a proper burial when he died. Well, he didn't die.
The movie is supposed to be based on a true story, and I get that it needs to be dramatized. However, with the extent the details being stretched, assumed or just simply added, you might as well not claim this movie is about Hugh Glass. This reminds me of Argo, not in a good way.
I get that the universe owes Leonardo DiCaprio an Oscar, but this movie is not for me.
Image: Open Road Films
The movie, set in 2001/02, follows The Boston Globe's investigative team, Spotlight, and its investigation into the child sex abuse cases in Boston churches and the systematic cover up. The team earned the newspaper a Pulitzer Prize for this work, which uncovers decades of abuse and encourages thousands of victims from all over the world to come forward.
In the movie, the perpetrators -- the priests / clerics -- are sent for counseling / therapy / treatment (whatever that means) for their crimes before being relocated to different churches, where they now... have access to different groups of children. Yeap. I'm positive many convicted pedophiles who are serving time in prison right now would love this same counseling-relocation deal.
Self-righteous religious people already turn me off. Now you're telling me there are people out there who commit sex crimes, systematically abuse their power and hide it all behind a religion.
The Hateful Eight
The story is about eight strangers who seek refuge from a blizzard at a stagecoach stop. (If you are into Maths and stuff, you'll disagree on the number a little, whatever, small detail.) The first group consists of a captured criminal, two bounty hunters, one man who claims he's the new sheriff of the town they are heading to, and one driver. Two of them were picked up by the coach along the journey. The second group that's already at the stop claims to be whoever they claim to be.
This is a Quentin Tarantino movie, so expect fun and gore. I wouldn't say that I like the movie a lot, but the title alone made me want to find it in the first place. Besides its fantastic camera work that probably requires me to learn a few technical terms to describe it, which I won't, the flashback that unfolds the twist is the best part of the movie.
I imagine Steven Spielberg would have tea when directing on set, Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese would have coffee, and Quentin Tarantino would take whatever the opposite of a tranquilizer.
The Martian
It's a story of Mark Watney, a Mars exploration crew member who was presumed dead and left behind when his team evacuated in a storm. Alone and stranded with limited resources, he now has to find ways to survive on the planet until the next team arrives in four years.
It's far from blowing my mind, but I don't feel like it's wasting my time either. So, it is ok, I guess.
The Revenant
Can you be a frontrunner of an Oscar race if your character isn't tortured? Of course, not. Happy people don't deserve a reward.
The Revenant is about Hugh Glass, a frontiersman and fur trapper, who was left for dead by his hunting party members after he was severely injured in a bear attack. The group was earlier ambushed and pursued by Arikara Indians, and they did try to carry Glass along in the beginning. Fearing another attack, they kept moving but eventually got three of their men to stay behind, so Glass would have a proper burial when he died. Well, he didn't die.
The movie is supposed to be based on a true story, and I get that it needs to be dramatized. However, with the extent the details being stretched, assumed or just simply added, you might as well not claim this movie is about Hugh Glass. This reminds me of Argo, not in a good way.
I get that the universe owes Leonardo DiCaprio an Oscar, but this movie is not for me.
Image: Open Road Films

Comments