Movies
(Hello, blog!)
So I managed to watch most of the movies from the 86th Oscars. Yes, 86th as in last year's.
It was no surprise that Her was my favourite from the list, followed by Blue Jasmine. As for the rest, let's make it easy for me here: Philomena and Inside Llewyn Davis were good; Dallas Buyers Club, Captain Phillips and 12 Years a Slave were ok; and although I was also expecting more from it, so was American Hustle. I may be biased, but Michael Fassbender should get that Oscar. All Is Lost was more than ok and also depressing, which has always been my drug of choice. After I found out that the movie could also be a metaphor of anyone especially an old person dealing with the end of life, it got me into depression mode for an additional two days. I'm not sure if I'll go and find The Wolf of Wall Street and Nebraska for now, though. On the other hand, I'll never watch Gravity no matter what people say. My instinct of what movies I wouldn't enjoy is usually right. *Dusts hands*. Last year's movies in one paragraph.
This year, armed with Wikipedia as usual, I wanted to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel first. Then I saw Gone Girl. I'd watch American Sniper if it was available. And if I have more time, I'll watch Wild and The Imitation Game too. As for a few others like The Theory of Everything and Birdman -- sigh -- I did tell myself to avoid depressing movies and TV as much as I can this year. But there's always a voice inside my head asking me to do the opposite. I was too weak to say no to The Walking Dead and House of Cards, and consequently they affect my mood -- one hour of instant gratification and one day of me being sad and paranoid. I need to watch light and easy stuff for a while, or read light and easy books, or go socialize, or do more yoga, or go for a run... lol
Let's talk The Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl:
The Grand Budapest Hotel did not disappoint. What a quirky and literally beautiful movie. The visuals are stunning and delicious, and the symmetry indulges your obsession for it. It's a story of a concierge who is bequeathed a priceless painting by a wealthy woman whom he had been a close companion to for a long time (who also, later, turns out to be the owner of the hotel). When he is accused of murdering her, he teams up with his resourceful lobby boy, Zero Moustafa, which is a perfect name for the story, by the way, to break out of prison and clear his name. The movie also reminds us of the colourful childhood when trying new things was safe and fun, failures were only embarrassing for five seconds, and your brain was full of pretty imagination. It got me at that super fun funicular.
Gone Girl is chilly. It's a reminder, a warning, that some psychopath is probably watching and waiting for you at a corner right now. It's also a reminder of how revenge can consume you. Instead of walking away, Amy plans and executes an elaborate revenge that could bite her back. She chooses to draw her own blood rather than confront and divorce her cheating husband. (Oh, I love Rosamund Pike's hair in the movie. I'm currently growing my hair back, and I'm just starting, which you can imagine the torture. So I desperately could use a short, sleek haircut right now.)
Image: Pinterest
So I managed to watch most of the movies from the 86th Oscars. Yes, 86th as in last year's.
It was no surprise that Her was my favourite from the list, followed by Blue Jasmine. As for the rest, let's make it easy for me here: Philomena and Inside Llewyn Davis were good; Dallas Buyers Club, Captain Phillips and 12 Years a Slave were ok; and although I was also expecting more from it, so was American Hustle. I may be biased, but Michael Fassbender should get that Oscar. All Is Lost was more than ok and also depressing, which has always been my drug of choice. After I found out that the movie could also be a metaphor of anyone especially an old person dealing with the end of life, it got me into depression mode for an additional two days. I'm not sure if I'll go and find The Wolf of Wall Street and Nebraska for now, though. On the other hand, I'll never watch Gravity no matter what people say. My instinct of what movies I wouldn't enjoy is usually right. *Dusts hands*. Last year's movies in one paragraph.
This year, armed with Wikipedia as usual, I wanted to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel first. Then I saw Gone Girl. I'd watch American Sniper if it was available. And if I have more time, I'll watch Wild and The Imitation Game too. As for a few others like The Theory of Everything and Birdman -- sigh -- I did tell myself to avoid depressing movies and TV as much as I can this year. But there's always a voice inside my head asking me to do the opposite. I was too weak to say no to The Walking Dead and House of Cards, and consequently they affect my mood -- one hour of instant gratification and one day of me being sad and paranoid. I need to watch light and easy stuff for a while, or read light and easy books, or go socialize, or do more yoga, or go for a run... lol
Let's talk The Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl:
The Grand Budapest Hotel did not disappoint. What a quirky and literally beautiful movie. The visuals are stunning and delicious, and the symmetry indulges your obsession for it. It's a story of a concierge who is bequeathed a priceless painting by a wealthy woman whom he had been a close companion to for a long time (who also, later, turns out to be the owner of the hotel). When he is accused of murdering her, he teams up with his resourceful lobby boy, Zero Moustafa, which is a perfect name for the story, by the way, to break out of prison and clear his name. The movie also reminds us of the colourful childhood when trying new things was safe and fun, failures were only embarrassing for five seconds, and your brain was full of pretty imagination. It got me at that super fun funicular.
Gone Girl is chilly. It's a reminder, a warning, that some psychopath is probably watching and waiting for you at a corner right now. It's also a reminder of how revenge can consume you. Instead of walking away, Amy plans and executes an elaborate revenge that could bite her back. She chooses to draw her own blood rather than confront and divorce her cheating husband. (Oh, I love Rosamund Pike's hair in the movie. I'm currently growing my hair back, and I'm just starting, which you can imagine the torture. So I desperately could use a short, sleek haircut right now.)
Image: Pinterest

Comments