Long Weekend

News: I just came back from my first trip in years to... Pasar Tani. (Yes, not some beautiful green and blue water beaches. Not even a pond. It's a weekly wet market.) My last one was with my grandmother when I was a kid, which they called Pasar Minggu, I think, and I don't remember those trips much except after I helped her lug the stuff she bought, she would treat me with mee sup or/and satay.

I should be at the Pasar Tani when they open early in the morning, because when I shop, I have to be at the store the minute it opens, when the store is still clean and fresh and in order. There would be less people in the morning, and everyone would still be smiling and civil and saying good morning to each other. So since we know where this is going ie there's no way I'd wake up at 6 to buy fish, I wore my sunscreen and went there at 10+.

As expected, I wasn't really sure what to do. I don't think I have the 'pasar tani swag' yet. I'm not sure if it's fresher, or cheaper, and even if it is, I didn't see anyone buying just three pieces of drumstick. I'd need a month to finish one whole chicken. I almost got out buying nothing, but that would be a waste of sacrificing a weekend morning. Then I saw my saving grace: pucuk paku! So I bought one ikat of those and one ikat of lemongrass before going to the supermarket nearby to buy three chicken pieces, a packet of fish fillet, some more vegetables and a box of chocolate for a client.

Good thing is, I walked quite a bit today -- to pasar tani, supermarket, breakfast and back.

This weekend feels a lil' bit too long already.

(Naahh... I take it back. Long weekends are awesome!)

_____

Update, Sunday:


This is the pucuk paku and ayam masak lemak cili api I made for lunch, or whatever meal you take at 4PM on a Sunday.

Comments