At the End of This Story, the Jacket Stays

Watching Catch and Release reminds me of clothes. You must know this is called association -- linking event A to a similar event, event B. For example, when you see a group of friends catching and releasing fish, or relationships, and it immediately makes you think of buying and letting go of clothes.

See, I told you, that's association 🤷🏻‍♀️.

So, why do people always complain about not having anything to wear when their wardrobe is, in fact, crammed with clothes? Even if it's just a tiny cupboard, still, you must have something to wear. I don't know. It's a mystery to me too.

With the intention of finding "what's missing" from my wardrobe, I opened it up and found a number of things of mine that have not seen the light of day instead.

Exhibit 1: I bought this jacket almost two years ago, for no reason. I was not even planning for any trip. Today, the price tag is still attached to it. A friend suggested (while trying not to laugh) that I should just wear it during flights. To where? Penang?

And the process of getting this piece included driving back to the store, 30km away from my house, first thing in the morning because I was given the wrong one. (I don't buy from the nearer KLCC store -- it's a long story.) I hope all the threads will still be sewn together by the time I actually get to wear it. But it's an investment, right? You'll never go wrong if you are always prepared -- I mean, aside from the fact that this is almost forgotten and has produced zero return so far.

And you know what they say, behind every good investment, there's a bunch more, staring at me, looking not so pleased: a pair of black pants, a purple shirt, a grey dress, and the list goes on -- all possibly worn once in the last century. And have I ever worn that purple dress that I owh-so-needed back then?

But relationships with clothes can turn out to be complicated ones.

So it took me a few days to actually let them go, and I had to do it in stages, after a lot of thinking and re-thinking and parading in them at least twice in front of the mirror.

Finally, I managed to have two equal-sized boxes labelled:

1) To Throw/Give Away
2) To Be Kept (Temporarily) at Parents' Place for a Little While Before Being Disposed

... as I find it the hardest to part with the contents in the second box.

So, we are separating first, before filing for the actual divorce (if we ever do).

Comments